We all hear that word a lot in kiwi dialect - "Yeahnah", which literally translates as 'Yes/No'1. You might assume that this combination of both a positive and negative affirmation together is simply a laboured, slightly retarded, way of saying 'Maybe". This is a common mistake. In fact, it's meaning depends entirely on the context. Sometimes it means 'Yes', other times, it means 'No'. But mostly, it means nothing at all, and is just a way of filling space while the person thinks of something better to say.
But in answer to the question, "Should I change accountants" it means "Well, you should certainly think about it." And to help you begin thinking about it, think about the fact that MSBCA has as extensive range of accounting knowledge, skills, expertise and experience. We know what we are doing. And we do it pretty darn well.
And we know that because we frequently ask our clients if they are pleased with our work together. And the answer is always "Yeahnah" (which in this context translates to "Of course, you are doing an outstanding job on our behalf, thank you.)
Think about changing to us - you won't regret it.
And will you benefit from the change? Yeahnah (which, in this context, means "You most certainly will".)
Take a look at our portfolio of Client Services.
Modern business demands up to date accurate financial information. Here we can utilise the most up to date systems for keeping your records and turning them into accurate and timely financial information. We can take care of all your accounting needs, including the preparation of your Annual Accounts and periodic management accounts for tax, business appraisal and planning purposes. We will discuss your requirements with you and provide you with tailored information and constructive advice on a regular basis. We are also able to offer accurate, timely assistance in relation to GST. These include:
- Preparation of GST Returns
- Filing and adjusting GST Returns
- IRD GST audit assistance
- Specialist events involving GST – e.g. sale of purchase of property
We offer a full range of Taxation Services. Our proactive approach ensures we deliver a consistent service and build solid relationships which stand the test of time. Taxation can be a major cost to your business. We will work with you to minimise your tax and help you achieve your key objectives. We provide a complete service of help and advice in all of the following areas:
- Preparation of personal, partnership, trust and company tax returns and advice on payment of tax
- GST/FBT and PAYE obligations
- Advice on and implementation of tax effective trust structures for asset protection and tax minimisation
- Management of any IRD Audits or disputes
- Management of your Tax Account with the Inland Revenue Department
- Tax planning
- Use of tax payment intermediaries
One of the best tools in producing a good business plan is having a good budget. It is one of the best business tools allowing you to set financial targets and measure your performance. If you need funding it may improve your chances. Financiers often require forecasts as a prerequisite for funding approval. Cashflow forecasting helps your business to have the cash it needs, by knowing when the cash cycles occur. Let us show you how a budget and a cashflow forecast can help prepare you for the future of your business. Have you ever wondered if you are holding too much stock? Is this the right time to expand your business? Are you going to have enough cash to pay all expenses every month? We can provide you with accurate, timely and informative cashflow forecasting reports
– allowing you to:
- Realise and understand when cash is available
- Plan and prepare for expansion, taxes or other needs
- Analyse and anticipate key expenses
With this information, we'll work with you to develop action strategies to improve your bottom line.
Our aim is to ensure your business achieves the potential it's capable of. We have the know-how and experience to offer advice to help you run your business more effectively. We are practiced in acting as a sounding board for management, bringing to the relationship years of experience in business growth. We can identify key performance indicators in your business, so you can view your progress and measure your success. We are able to monitor whether your business is as competitive, focused, and profitable as it can be. We offer flexible strategies, designed to address the issues affecting your unique business. Let us give your business a health check. Take the practical advice we can give to ensure the continual success of your venture.
If you have a good idea for a new business venture but don't have the expertise in the legal and financial aspects of creating a new business, we can help you.
We can help you to:
- Decide on the most suitable structure for your business – sole trader, partnership, or limited company
- Prepare a business plan, cashflow projections, budgets, and trading forecasts
- Assess your finance requirements, advise on the best sources of finance, and draw up the necessary proposals
- Establish a good working relationship with your bank
- Complete any registration procedures with Companies Office, Inland Revenue, or Customs and Excise
- Deal with company secretarial issues
- Set up a recording system for your internal use and for complying with statutory requirements
Company legislation requires businesses to perform many administration tasks that take up a lot of valuable company time. The last thing you need as a business owner is to be stressed out trying to ensure you are complying with the Companies Act 1993. The possible threat of penalties for failing to keep up with the changing rules is too great a risk to take. We can relieve this burden for you.
Our services include:
- General advice on company law
- Company formations
- Filing of annual returns on your behalf
- Preparation of all documentation related to minutes and resolutions
- Maintenance of statutory books
- Assistance in changes of directors, shareholders, addresses, and office details
- Bonus Issues
- Share transfers
- Registered Office facility
We have the necessary expertise to assist in a variety of areas in relation to residential and commercial property.
The services we offer include:
- Advice on the purchasing of a property
- Advice on funding
- Guidance in tax minimisation
- Advice on ownership structure
- Periodic reviews to ensure returns are maximised
A trust provides a valuable way of protecting the assets you have accumulated for the benefit of others. We have extensive experience and so are able to offer specialist advice on Trust formation, ensuring all statutory requirements are met. Obligations for trustees can often be onerous, and our assistance in Trust administration will be invaluable.
We are able to:
- Discuss your requirements with you and liaise with your lawyer regarding the preparation and execution of the Trust Deed and execute the vital documentation involved in Trust formation
- Attend to special requirements involved in reporting for Trusts
- Trust administration
- Minute keeping service
- Annual accounts
- Asset management
- Investment monitoring
- Income distribution
In ensuring the long term success of your business, it is critical to establish a well-designed succession plan. Co-ordination of the transition of your business to your successors can be an arduous process. However, with our years of experience we can address the complex issues of business continuation.
We have a process which will explore the possible solution for you:
- The process is more important than the financial numbers or the tax structures
- The aim is to align the needs of the owner and the successor
- Good governance is an essential component of a successful succession plan
- Equitability is often not always the right answer but fairness probably is
- Your will is not your succession plan
Selling a business can be a difficult, often a disheartening time. We are able to help relieve that stress for you. Our friendly and professional team is able to assist in such a way that a maximum return for your business can be achieved. The services we provide in relation to organising the selling of a business include:
- Compiling information to provide to potential buyers
- Help establish a realistic sale price
- Help negotiate with potential purchasers
- Drafting a contract for sale and purchase
Technology enables us to enhance a wide variety of business processes. Effective use of software and hardware can provide enormous benefits to your business. We use and explore a wide range of systems, and as such, we are able to:
- Discuss with you the best system to implement to best help your business
- Install and configure software to suit your purposes
- Recommend processes to make your computer system more secure
- Suggest accounting software applications suitable for your business
- Train Clients to be self-sufficient users of a variety of software
- Offer advice on electronic banking
Whether you are contemplating the addition of new computer hardware, or looking at completely changing your business systems, our team is able to assist you. Let us help you make the right choice when it comes to accounting software. A sound accounting system will help you keep track of your cashflow and give you the option to complete GST returns more easily. Choosing the right system for your business can be a difficult one – after all there are over sixty different accounting packages available in New Zealand, let us guide you to the right fit.
Administering your payroll can be time-consuming and divert you from the core activities of your business. Payroll and employment legislation is also growing increasingly complex. We can relieve you of this burden by providing a confidential payroll service, including:
- Processing and administration of your payroll
- Administration of PAYE, statutory sick pay, annual leave etc.
- Administration of bonuses and termination payments
The rules relating to FBT payments change on a regular basis. We keep up to date with the world of tax and are able to give advice on the preparation of FBT returns. We are also able to advise on the FBT consequences of proposals you intend to make, allowing you to make fully informed decisions.
To achieve a comfortable retirement requires forward planning. You need to consider such things as when you will retire, how much income will be required to allow the retirement you desire, how to acquire that income, and what role the government will play. We can answer these questions and plan for the relaxing retirement you've earned.
The most valuable asset in your business is your staff. In recognition of this, and in line with our desire to help you make the most of your business, we can help with HR consulting.
- Employment Relations - Includes advice on employment agreements, employment legislation, and employee policies and procedures.
- Health & Safety - Includes assistance with the implementation of systems to ensure compliance with legislation, training on health and safety, and assistance with ACC audits.
- Recruitment & Selection - Includes assistance with advertising for employees, short listing and interviewing, reference checking.
- Remuneration - Includes support in administering the payroll, advice on remuneration levels, and guidance with incentive and bonus schemes.
- Performance Management - Includes assistance in identifying performance measurement criteria, training in how to carry out performance appraisals, guidance for managers in dealing with non-performance problems.
- Strategic HR - Involves aligning HR strategies with business objectives to ensure the development of a team to drive the improvement of business performance.